Source: Yanggang archives WD-295-51-18 
On July 18, 1980, the factory director and other managerial cadres at the Yangquan Iron and Steel Factory hosted their weekly factory affairs meeting to discuss various programs and policies in relation to workers’ social welfare and educational benefits.
Translation by Xueyi Liu, Student Research Assistant in the Division of Arts and Humanities, Duke Kunshan University
The Office of Shanxi Yangquan Iron and Steel Factory, printed on July 18th of 1980.
Time: July 18th, 1980
Location: the third-floor meeting room
Presider: Li Rutong
Participants: Li Rutong, Wang Zhong, Wang Jincang, Qie Zhitian, Zhang Jinxing, Ren Binjin, Wen Jinxi, Wei Xiangwen, Xu Qian, Ma Xiyuan, Zhao Linhao, Gan Daojiang, Guo Yishou, Wang Kui, and Liu Jiwu.
- Purchase toys for the kindergarten.
- Renew closets in the Factory bathhouses.
- Evaluate the new sanitation management system.
- Set up the Television College.
- Maintain the factory school’s facilities and establish the factory preschool.
- Examine the scholarship for worker accepting off-job training
- Arrangements for this year’s construction projects.
- As for the purchase of toys for the factory kindergarten, the expense shall be controlled under 300 yuan.
- Concerning the closets of the factory bathhouses, the Design Group of Technology Bureau is obliged to provide drafts with brick-concrete structures. Moreover, the renewal decision will not take effect until a budget is provided, which proves the refurbished closets, compared with the wood-structure ones, are more in compliance with the principle of “money-saving, aesthetic, durable and user-friendly”.
- The meeting decides that the new sanitation management system could take trial implementation. Moreover, to strengthen the management over the new-constructed roads, (1) the bureau of sanitation oversees this task; (2) the bureau of labor transfers four persons to this task; (3) the steelmaking workshop is going to empty the mud-milling shop and use it as the sanitation service office; (4). The administrative measures shall be prepared by the bureau of sanitation, and then evaluated and practiced by the factory.
- As for the issues concerning the founding of “Television College,” the meeting decided that: (1) the bureau of infrastructure should accelerate the construction pace of the school dining hall and at least finished the construction of the operating chamber before the commencement of “Television College” on September 1st, to ensure that all the students can dine on campus. Moreover, the dormitories with balconies should also be transformed to the classrooms and offices; (2) Mr. Jiang Fengyi will temporarily hold a concurrent post as the instructor of “Television College.” The factory also will select a class advisor and staff from its personnel; (3) besides a 24-inch color TV set will be bought specifically for the college, other facilities needed will be subject to the Factory’s allocations in future.
- Regarding several issues proposed by the factory school, the meeting decided that: (1) ratify the proposal of setting up the factory preschool; (2) the bureau of labor transfers 1 workman to the preschool; (3) authorize the spending of approximately 80 yuan for the summer tuition; (4) as for the proposal of charging 0.5 yuan for each pupil and 1 yuan for each middle school student as miscellaneous fees, it will only be approved if the money were used to print study materials and confirmed by the factory manager in charge; (5) as for the construction of the School’s wall, due to the shortage of funds, the resolution only approved the Infrastructure Bureau to build wall in risky areas with necessary and temporary measures, and the whole project shall wait for the funding; (6) the bureau of infrastructure shall transfer two carpenters to repair and maintain the desks, doors, windows, office tables and chairs; (7) Additionally, before purchasing 10 office tables and 20 chairs for school, the school is required to provide a budget to the bureau of finance in advance and wait for the approval from related offices.
- The meeting decided that: the off-job workers receiving training in the rotation would be given the scholarship based on the average bonus of the Factory, and those who received formal school training would not be offered any scholarship.
- As for this year’s construction arrangements, to clarify the situations, Mr. Zhang Jinxing shall convene a specific meeting with the presence of the bureau of finance, the bureau of technology, the bureau of supply and marketing, the bureau of infrastructure, the construction headquarter, the machine power department, the machine repair department, raw material division, refractory brick division, steelmaking division. The final decision shall be decided after vigorous presentations of opinions.